Pages

Yahaan bhi hai Wahaan bhi hai !

Friday, July 3, 2009

Things with wings...

... are fluttering in my life just now.

#1 There are tiny ochre-y coloured butterflies in my pseudo-garden which are fast, and hard to photograph. A few days back it had rained heavily ... and after that, i caught these tiny wonders sitting very peacefully on the purple wild flowers, sucking nectar. I went really close to them and they didn't seem to mind me or my camera at all ! Got some really cool shots of them :) You can see them HERE.

#2 I now have a pigeon in my life... Exactly how it came to us is a long story and so shall be skipped. The important thing is...it's a pigeon with an attitude. And why not? After all, it's a real live Masakali pigeon! (Picture) ...and he's beautiful. (Dad thinks it's a 'he') We're planning on calling him "Gutur" .. like in "guturgoo". He's all white and fluffy and can't fly much. I thought he couldn't fly at all until i found him sitting on my table and looking at me from above after I gave up looking for him under my bed! Teeheehee.
Now the problem is, we also have a cat. He doesn't stay with us, but visits us as many times a day as he feels hungry. And a pigeon ... would be a good meal. ... which means I have to be extra cautious and remember to shut the door everytime i leave the room. (Ahem. Won't be a problem. Elephant never forgets.)


In other news, I finally watched Kung fu Panda. If you haven't, DO! Go! Now!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like eating pigeons..

and i have seen kungfu panda...

Pavitra said...

ooo....pigeon! sounds nice....!
i've seen kungfu panda....hilarious..!

Trinaa said...

masakali can matkofy also kya?

Trinaa said...

n i want to c kung fu panda also..get it when u come on sunday.. or did u c it on tv?

Cяystal said...

Masakali pigeon? Sachi??? Mereko poori photu dekhni hai!!..Gutur is a pyaara name..and Yea, I've seen innumerous photos of that butterfly! :D

Vinisha said...

Why am I getting jealous of you day by day ? :(

Lala said...

butterflies, pigeon and a cat? i had a cat in manipal... she didnt stay with us buy used to visit whenever i called... we called her shilpa. and i loved kung fu panda...

Aparna said...

Lovely shots of the butterfly and the mushrooms.
You have a white pigeon in the house? Is it a baby?
A cat and a pigeon does not sound like a good combo. Hope you are careful all the time.

Express said...

omg omg, the pigeon is pretty pretty! I think its a she :D so u can call it guturi :P :D

ok, no lame joke..

Birdie came 2 my place too!!! but went away in one day.. and I'm happy tht ws so, or it wud poop all over.. err..

u have similar problems?
aing?

Stupidosaur said...

Wow, an entire family of artists that too with a animal farm or something. Sahi hai tum log.

BTW be very careful. I had 'rescued' a few injured pigeons too (two if I remember). The first one never recovered. The second one grew better and used to go all over tables and stuff, flying a little just like your pigeon. It had even learnt to hop over on my arm (The claws hurt a little, but that was ok :) ).

From that we developed a little game. While it was on one arm, I presented it the other one slightly higher up. Once it hopped there, I lowered that arm, and brought the first arm in front, slightly higher.

So basically, my arms went tumbling i slow motion, and it kept hopping from one to another.

But then after 1-2 months the disaster happened. We had let it out of the box to roam a bit in a room and we were having dinner in another. Just then there was a thud in the pigeon's room and mangy cat (not our pet, came swiftly into our eating room with the pigeon in its mouth :( Seems I had left the window open) I quickly got up and shooed it and tried to hit it. It dropped the pigeon in the commotion and jumped out of another window. But it was too late. Its teeth had punctured and crushed the neck. It was fluttering with glassy eyes and died within a minute or less.

I couldn't even cry cos I felt very guilty and somehow even cruel and monstrous for leaving the window open (unintentionally, but still).



BTW I agree with your father. By the shape of its head and the fluff of feathers puffed out around its neck and chest, even I think its a he. she pigeons have a more roundish head and thinner necks with less feathers. But then of course I haven't done any deep study of animals and birds. It was just a particlular 4 years of my life when they were in my backyard/I was in their backyard